The Golden Age of Hollywood

The Golden Age of Hollywood
"Garbo, Bogart, Bacall, Gable, K. Hepburn, Astaire, Rogers, Brando, The Marx Brothers, Crawford, Wayne, Stewart, Keaton, Colbert, Gene Kelly, Lancaster, Garland, Peck, Taylor, Douglas, Davis, A. Hepburn, Harlow, Hitchcock, Ford, Hawks, Grace Kelly, Olivier, Dietrich, Cagney, Gardner, Grant, Bergman, Fonda, Monroe, Dean, Welles, West, Holden, Loren, Leigh, Cooper and Fontaine, Tracy, Stanwyck, Gish, Power, Temple, Heston, Hayworth, Pickford"

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Rant: Why kids these days hate classic movies

Why are kids so ignorant about old movies? Is it that they don't care? Why do you think the internet is around? For playing around, email, and...oh looking up stuff you don't know. However i recently found out that most young people don't research stuff they don't know. They are either too lazy, don't care, or too busy. In one of my classes, the teacher showed an old movie, the whole class started groaning and complaining. "Do we have to watch this?" and "I hate black and white movies".
  •    Of all my friends, i would say about 80% don't know classic movies. (Congrats to the other 20% who, thank god, know some stuff). When i talk to them about old movies, i get glazed looks or deer-in-the-headlights looks (and these are mostly college students). But if i start talking about Justin Bieber or Twilight, they get excited and all of a sudden...they know what i'm talking about!!!
  •   I also condemn TV for not playing old movies. There was a time when old movies were shown a few times a week. Now nothing. If you don't have cable or TCM (i have neither TCM or cable), then you are screwed. Let's give a big round of applause to pop culture. THANKS FOR SCREWING UP OUR KIDS WITH YOUR TRASHY JUNK!!!
Well now lets get to me. I found out about classic movies in the 12th grade. It was in psychology and our teacher showed 'Sunset Boulevard'. I must say i was in awe. I had never seen such a movie before. Before this i had watched a few old movies but i wasn't like the other kids. I hardly went to the movies (i still don't) and i took no interest in the movies that Hollywood was churning out. Throughout the whole day, i had a biting question in my head, "Who was that man in the movie?". So when i got home i looked him up. It was William Holden. On his page on Wikipedia there was a link that read, "AFI Legends of Hollywood". Well i was intrigued. So i clicked on it and out popped this list of people i had never heard of. The rest of the day i spent researching each one of those people. So i started talking to my dad about them (he knows a lot about classic movies. He recommended that i try the local library. I still remember the first two classic movies i checked out were "The Maltese Falcon" and "They Died With Their Boots On". Well i loved them both. So i started checking out 3-4 movies a week. My dad would recommend the movies until i could pick them myself. I LOVED EVERY SINGLE MOVIE! Now i still go to the library, but i've checked out almost all of their classic movies. I'm glad i'm not like other people, too lazy to look stuff up. I found the greatest thing because of my inquisitiveness. I'm SO glad i did.

No comments:

Post a Comment